The armory room is a place you will be visiting often as you progress through the Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty single player. Here you can upgrade infantry, vehicles, starships, buildings and other things accessible only in the single player.
You should talk to Swann, the local chief-engineer at the Hyperion, but you actually get your upgrades from the computer console near Swann at the Armory Room. To enter this room, just click the exit sign at the door of any other room you are at, and choose Armory from the drop-down menu.
The computer console displays the TECH PURCHASE interface … a table divided by rows and columns. On the top are the following tabs:
Under each tab are three columns. The first row, under BASE tab, is the SCV model. To its right are two green-colored buttons: the SCV Micro-fusion Reactor and the SCV Fusion Welder upgrades. If you click on any of them, the bottom of the page will change and display on the bottom-left a real-time animation and to the bottom-right you will see the cost, the description and the Purchase button. Below you can see all the upgrades available in the first six maps. Of course, more are added as you complete each mission beyond those we had the opportunity to play in our Single Player gameplay hands-on invitation.
For example, under BASE TAB, you will see on the left column a few rows with the following:
- SCV Micro-fusion Reactors: $60,000—Reduces SCV cost (-15 Minerals) SCV (Space Construction Vehicle) are an essential part of Terran base-building. The more SCVs available the faster resources are collected and the more construction work can be conducted simultaneously. Micro-fusion reactors cut the manufacturing costs of SCVs considerably.
- SCV Fusion Welder: $ 35,000—Reduces repair costs by -25%. In addition to their key roles in base building and resource collection, SCVs can also perform repairs on damaged structures and vehicles. Repairing a damaged Siege Tank is more economic than building a new one. Upgrading SCVs to use hyper-efficient fusion welders makes repairs cheaper and reduces resource overheads by 25%.
- Terran Building Moduler Construction: $45,000—Reduces structure costs. Building costs by -10%. Establishing a solid base of operations can be costly, to say nothing of setbacks due to alien attack and environment hazards. Modular construction makes building base structures cheaper and more efficient by using a stock pile of standarized, pre-stamped components.
- Terran Building Fire Suppression Systems: $25,000—Puts out structure fires. Damaged structures don’t catch fire. Terran Structures are tough and well-armored, but when one starts to burn, it’s moments away from complete destruction. Now it might be possible to get an SCV there to repair it in time, but why risk it? A simple command center upgrade will safeguard all of your buildings against fire.
- Bunker Neosteel Frame: Cost: $40,000—Bunker can hold more units. Capacity: +2. The so-called Jumbo-bunker design uses a high density neosteel frame to leave more room inside for additional infantry without increasing the overall bunker profile. While ordinary bunkers can house a maximum of four infantry, Jumbo-bunkers can be occupied by up to six infantry in fortified comfort.
- Bunker Shrike Turret: $30,000—Bunker gains an automated turret. Damage 6, Range 5. Using bunkers for battlefield control is a cornestone of terran strategy. The problem is that a bunker must be constantly garrisoned to be effective. The Servo Servants MK 8 Shrike automated impaler turret is the answer to this drain of manpower.
- Missile Turret: $ 30,000—Missile turret gains area attack. Damage 4×9, Range 7. Hailstorm missile pods enhance the already formidable anti-air threat of missile turrets. Each pod contains dozens of cluster munitions that saturate the target area when launched. The missile turret can be toggled between standard and hailstorm missiles as required.
- Missile Turret Devastator Missiles: Damage 50, Range 8. Developed in conjunction with the Hailstorm missile pod, Devastator Missiles lie at the opposite end of the munitions spectrum. Devastator missiles with a heavy-weight warhead designed to inflict critical damage. A missile turret can toggle between standard and devastator missiles as required.
- Perdition Turret: $60,000—New Defensive structure. Cost 100 minerals and 50 gas. Damage 10. Experience from the first war with the zerg revealed the need for stronger base defenses of all kinds. Perdition turrets were originally improvised using scavenged components from damaged firebats suits, but their proven effectiveness has secured them a permanent place in the terran arsenal.
- Perdition Turret Distortion Sensors: $25,000—Perdition turret gains detection. Detection reveals cloaked and burrowed units. Fixed defenses are worthless if an enemy has stealth units that can walk straight past them. Upgrading perdition turrets allows them to act as simple gravitic detectors. Stealth tech conceals most tell-tale emissions, but the mass and gravitic footprint of a unit cannot be hidden and is a dead-giveaway to the right kind of sensor.
- Marine Steam Packs: $35,000—New combat ability. Stim: Unit takes damage, moves, fights faster. Stimpacks are a chemical delivery system built into marine armor. A stimpack doses the marine with a mix of adrenaline, endorphins, and aggression enhancers to produce a temporary boost to speed and reflexes at a cost of short term exhaustion. Long-term side effects can be severe. Consult your medic for more info.
- Marine Combat Shield: $45,000—Marine gains additional health. Health +10. The LarsCorps Technologies M98 Ballistic Alloy Combat Shield is a vital combat enhancement for any marine force facing serious opposition. 25mm of synchromeshed neosteel, ablative foam and tri-phase bonded carbide may not sound much, but studies have shown a full 33% increase in marine survivability while protected by combat shields!
- Medic Nano-bot Injectors: Medics heal faster. Heal rate: +50%. These cell-sized robots acccelerate the bodies’ healing processes once they are in the patient’s blood stream, performing suturing and minor surgeries as required. The efficiency of a battlefield medic carrying nano-robots is vastly improved.
- Medic Stabilizer Med-packs: Improved medic heal radius. Medics heal an area around their target. Sabilizer med-packs are compression bandages that will automatically clear, bind and anesthetize wounds on application. Freeing the medic from the time-intensive specifics of battlefield triage, these compact tools significantly extend the life and overall effectiveness of infantry units.
- Marauder Jackhammer Concussion Grenades: This improved ammo-type for the Marauder’s grenade launchers has proven extremely effective. Jackhammer concussion grenades use gravitic lensing to magnify their energy release. This makes them capable of stunning and slowing enemy units close to the primary target, enhancing the marauder with a very desirable area of effect to its attacks.
- Marauder Juggernaut Plating: Marauder gains additional armor. Armor: +2. Juggernaut plating is the first attempt to improve the production of marauder units. It adds coverage to teh marauder’s natural weak spots and thickens the helmet and chest pieces to improve user survivability. The complete package raises marauder suits from their status as walking tanks to walking battleships.