EG.Stephano tweeted the Grand Finals of the World Championship Series (Europe) has begun. Grab some snacks and your favorite juice or else drink to watch this exciting tournament.
Papa John’s Pizza is offering 50% discount on one Large Pizza. Customize your large pizza, and when you checkout type PIZZAGG on the coupon code text-field. Then click the apply coupon code button to redeem the 50% discount (valid only in USA).
The offer is valid until May 27th. Visit the Pizza.gg website to choose your favorite StarCraft II eSports player to launch the Papa John’s website.
A few weeks ago, Mike Morhaime purchased Papa John’s Pizza to all attendees of the StarCraft II World Championship Series season 1 held in South Korea.
Latest Blizzard Entertainment job openings for those with the skills to join one of the best employers in United States. Blizzard Entertainment is ranked # 6 America’s Ideal Employers
- Senior Software Engineer, Engine / Graphics (Next-Gen MMO)
- IT Strategic Planner – Global Administration
- Senior Database Engineer
- User Experience Designer
- Senior Database Engineer
- Data Engineer, Business Intelligence
- Lead Software Engineer, Risk Systems
- User Experience Designer
Today, JINX has launched a new wave of Blizzard Entertainment licensed StarCraft II T-shirts and merchandise.
- StarCraft II Razer Spectre Heart of the Swarm Gaming Mouse
- StarCraft II Razer Marauder Heart of the Swarm Gaming Keyboard
- StarCraft II Razer Banshee Heart of the Swarm Gaming Headset
- StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Pin Pack
- StarCraft II Zergling Keychain
- StarCraft II Logo Terry Wristband
- StarCraft II Heart of the Swarm Protoss Sticker
- StarCraft II Heart of the Swarm Terran Sticker
- StarCraft II Protoss Grid Logo Women Tee
- StarCraft II Protoss Grid Logo Premium Tee
- StarCraft II Terran Plates Logo Women Tee
- StarCraft II Terran Plates Logo Premium Tee
The The Art of Blizzard Entertainment Collector’s Edition by Insight Editions is available on sale at online and local bookstores for $199.09. A great collection for those who love to collect this type of Blizzard licensed merchandise, and for art students.
Follow the link above to read the customer reviews and a video from a fan.
Blizzard Entertainment changed gaming forever. From its humble beginnings as a three-person console-game development studio in 1991 to the creation of the blockbuster Warcraft®, StarCraft®, and Diablo® series, Blizzard has crafted stunning worlds of science fiction and fantasy for more than two decades.
An epic volume of visuals and behind-the-scenes insights, The Art of Blizzard Entertainment celebrates the genesis. This collection showcases nearly 700 pieces of concept art, paintings, and sketches accompanied by commentary from the Blizzard game development teams, including Nick Carpenter, Samwise Didier, and Chris Metzen. All three were essential in shaping Blizzard’s game universes over the years, and along with a team of international artists, revolutionized gameplay and storytelling. Artists such as Roman Kenny, Peter Lee, Bill Petras, Glenn Rane, and Wei Wang helped develop and expand Blizzard’s unique vision, and their contributions are featured here along with work by Brom, who offers a foreword to the collection. Millions of people around the globe play Blizzard games every day—The Art of Blizzard Entertainment is an opportunity to explore the core of what makes the experience so transporting.
This deluxe edition is bound in saifu cloth and accompanied by a portfolio of collector art prints, all housed in a finely crafted double-slot slipcase with foil stamping. Each deluxe edition also includes a card of authenticity hand-signed by Brom, Samwise Didier, and Wei Wang.
Blizzard Entertainment Careers Team have posted new job openings these past days. Recently, Blizzard Entertainment was ranked #6 America’s Ideal Employers 2013 by Universum after a survey with the participation of over 65,000 students. Join one of the best employers in United States and the World.
Follow the links below to submit your resume at the appropriate page:
- Language Tester, Italian
- Customer Service – In-Game Services
- Associate Producer / Producer
- Associate Producer – Localization
Looking for a different position? No sweat. These above are just the newest ones. Over 80 job openings available at Blizzard Entertainment here. Look for the navigation bar to search Americas, Europe, Asia and Oceania job openings.
Language Tester, Italian
Quality Assurance – Irvine, CA
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for intelligent and highly motivated multilingual game testers to help test our games in Italian. Job duties include documenting bugs, working closely with a team of translators, testing games for hours upon hours. An ideal candidate is a hardcore gamer with a localization background, or an individual with a higher education in a language-related discipline, who is good at both finding bugs and describing them in an organized and clear fashion. language testers must be able to work full-time at our headquarters in Irvine, California. Applicants must also be available to work extended hours and weekends when necessary, to meet project deadlines.
- Review the Italian translation of Blizzard Entertainment games.
- Ensure consistency with the glossary between games and other projects.
- Perform quality assurance for Blizzard Entertainment games and other projects.
- Review localized material and provide regular feedback to project leads and supervisors.
- Handle other duties as assigned.
- Passion for video games and linguistics
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills in both Italian and English
- Excellent knowledge of fantasy, and / or science fiction worlds and an understanding of Blizzard Entertainment games
- Willing to work extended hours
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Able to work independently
- Strong motivation and a high level of commitment
- Previous experience in video game localization or video game quality assurance
- Higher education in language-related disciplines, and / or work experience as a professional translator
- Excellent knowledge of Blizzard Entertainment games
Applicants must submit (i) a cover letter (with language proficiency), (ii) a resume, and (iii) a mock game analysis of their latest favorite video game in English and Italian. Only resumes with cover letters and game analyses will be considered.
- The game analysis should demonstrate applicant’s understanding of the game play mechanics and relationships to the design and implementation of the game.
- The game analysis should be on either a computer game or console game. Please limit the game analysis to no longer than 5 pages (the average length of an analysis is approximately 3 pages).
- This game analysis should not be a game made by Blizzard Entertainment.
Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. and its affiliated companies is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Customer Service – In-Game Services
Office – Irvine, CA
Customer support representatives or game masters (GMs) are service specialists supporting Blizzard Entertainment customers via phone, web chat, and email within the game environment and on account related issues. Through problem identification, troubleshooting, education and resolution, GMs are required to provide innovative and exceptional customer handling following Tier I Empowerment Guidelines. As a key member of customer service, GMs are expected to maintain Blizzard’s culture of excellence and commitment to quality in every aspect of their work.
- Provide first contact resolution of customer issues via phone, web chat, and e-mail.
- Deliver timely and accurate responses to customer questions and requests.
- Take personal ownership of customer requests and maintain accountability for follow-through.
- Provide exceptional customer experience as measured through customer surveys.
- Maintain productivity that meets or exceeds departmental goals for Tier I.
- Perform account maintenance, data entry, and order processing functions.
- Display a professional, positive, and enthusiastic demeanor to employees and customers.
- Learn and review departmental policies and procedures.
- Provide proactive customer communication via phone, chat, or email when necessary.
- Maintain accurate account of hours worked and report any discrepancy in a timely manner.
- Maintain security and confidentiality of Blizzard internal information and customer / account information.
- Respond to general customer inquiries.
- Identify, update, and report on interface or game mechanic issues.
- Provide for restoration of character / item losses of low complexity.
- Investigate reports of player harassment or inappropriate behavior.
- Investigate and communicate reports of service outages.
- Escalate and communicate any customer well-being issues.
- Escalate or refer issues beyond the scope of Tier I training and duties.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Team player with a positive attitude
- Able to work under pressure in a fast-paced, ever changing, high-volume environment
- Comfort with using telephony related hardware and software
- Flexible to work rotating shifts
- Strong customer service and written communication skills
- A minimum of 1 year experience handling customers within service / technical fields
- Basic computer and typing skills
- Familiar with Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office
- Successful criminal background check may be required if allowed by local law
- Previous call center or direct customer-facing experience
- Excellent attention to detail
- Drive for self-improvement
- Passion for supporting gamers
Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. and its affiliated companies is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Associate Producer / Producer
Office: Irvine, CA
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a producer to join our support systems engineering team. Support systems engineering is a 100% agile software development group currently using the Scrum framework. In this position, the producer will be empowered as the product owner for one of our Scrum development teams. The ideal candidate has a passion for product development and a natural aptitude for business.
- Meticulously maintain a product backlog that represents the product’s vision and roadmap with a focus on customer and business needs.
- Build and maintain relationships with customers from all levels and job positions within the company.
- Communicate a clear vision and release plan for the assigned product(s).
- Actively manage expectations, results, and forward progress for internal and external stakeholders.
- Determine and report on product return on investment.
- Provide regular reporting of product scope, schedule, progress, and planning.
- Promote a collaborative environment for development, user experience and quality assurance to deliver successful products within.
- Strong desire to be a part of and contribute to a team environment
- Exceptionally self-motivated and directed
- Passion for user experience
- Previous experience in product development
- Able to set and manage business priorities judiciously
- A demonstrable understanding of marketing techniques
- Knowledge of the software development lifecycle and associated activities
- Possess a strong understanding of agile development methodologies, particularly Scrum
- Clear ability to manage a range of different personality types in a facilitative and professional manner
- Superior listening, written, and oral communication skills
- Proven ability to plan, execute, and complete project activities to achieve high quality results
- Able to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical personnel
- Experience creating mock-ups, workflows, wireframes, and / or prototypes
- Product Owner Certification
- PMP Certification
Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. and its affiliated companies is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Associate Producer – Locatization
Office – Irvine, CA
The Blizzard Entertainment Localization team is looking for an associate producer (AP) to support the localization of text, audio, and video assets for Blizzard game titles, as well as, the localization of support services initiatives that accompany the launches of those titles. The ideal candidate has superior organizational and communication skills, three years of localization-related experience on a AAA title, fluency in one or more non-English languages, strong technical skills, and in-depth knowledge of Blizzard games. For more information, check out the posting.
The associate producer’s primary responsibilities will be assigned by the localization production staff, and involve hands-on localization tasks within game clients as they ramp up for release. Other responsibilities will be to organize and execute localization requests for support services teams, such as, community, PR, web, video and post production, etc., whether via Blizzard’s internal localization teams or its external vendor partners. The AP will also work with localization QA to champion localized product quality and the platform services project management team to ensure transparent and proactive communication to all relevant project stakeholders. Secondary responsibilities will be to challenge and champion the tools and initiatives designed to assist the department in running as efficiently and effectively as possible.
- Passion for video games
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills
- Self-motivated with an ability to work under tight deadlines
- A minimum of 3 years’ localization-related product development experience on a AAA title
- Willing and able to travel internationally as needed
- Team-oriented with the ability to work independently
- Computer literate and familiar with MS Office products
- Understanding of the complete localization life-cycle
- Fluency in one or more non-English language(s)
- Experience with MS Project
- Above-average knowledge of Blizzard and its games
- Working knowledge of database and version control software
- Working knowledge of audio, graphic, and movie file types and applications
IT – Network Operations
Office – Irvine, CA
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a highly motivated and skilled network engineer to join our network operations engineering team. The ideal candidate possesses a high level of experience with cutting-edge network platforms. The network engineer must be efficient and organized while working in a self-directed team environment.
- Design, install, and operate LAN / WAN network infrastructure.
- Perform network performance tuning and administration.
- Research new technologies including software and hardware, based on business requirements.
- Provision and deploy new routers / switches / security platforms in current or new data centers.
- Document operational processes and procedures.
- Develop and maintain network topology diagrams for all networks.
- Troubleshoot and locate root causes of network incidents.
- Mentor network administrators and technicians.
- Participate in production support and in on-call duties.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience with enterprise-level or service provider network design and support
- Excellent knowledge of TCP / IP protocol
- Knowledge of application flows, packet capture, and analysis
- Extensive experience with network routing protocol like BGP, OSPF, and EIGRP
- Extensive experience with Cisco routing and switching
- Knowledge and experience of public and private peering
- Security experience with Cisco and Juniper firewalls
- Experience with network monitoring tools
- Experience with load balancer solution
- In-depth understanding of network H / W architecture
- Superior troubleshooting skills
- A degree in computer science or a related field.
- Comfortable with Linux / UNIX
- Network certification(CCIE,JNCIE)
- Experience with supporting MySQL and Oracle
- Experience with SAN switching
Note: Some of the prices are bound to be for male-only or female-only (in some cases). Make sure to check the pricing before ordering.
The newest T-shirts, hoodies and hats at regular prices +can be found here:
The global leader in employer branding since 1988, Universum, surveyed over 65,000 students in United States of America.
Universum published the results of the American Student Survey (run through December 2012 to March 2013) which reveal how students perceive organizations as employers in United States.
Blizzard Entertainment figured as #6 in the survey ranking.
#6 Blizzard Entertainment
It’s time to visit the Blizzard Entertainment Careers page and to submit resumes. At the top of the page you may navigate job postings in America, Europe, Asia and Oceania.
The full list of the top 100 Employers surveyed by Universum can be found here.
A few days ago, Cameron Dayton mentioned in Twitter Project Blackstone is coming to an end very soon. Today there was a wave of Twitter activity among the Project Blackstone characters.
This has been by far the longest episode with the crew coming together for survival as the zerg experiments have been set loose by Held. ex-Ghost Academy cadet Dr. Winlaleah Martine and Dr. Talise Cogan have gone missing. All protoss specimens but one have been killed by Held.
Anything might happen with these three loose ends, as the finale approaches. Will the crew survive? Will there be casualties or sacrifices? Bring some popcorn, and visit the Project Blackstone website and the Project Blackstone twitter feed.
I want fans to know that Senior Story developer Cameron Dayton will depart Blizzard Entertainment for personal matters. He’s moving to Arizona. However, he will do some freelancing for Blizzard Entertainment, which makes me happy. At least we will continue to see new work from him in the future from time to time. Please, send your appreciation and good wishes at @CameronDayton for his contribution to the lore community.
The StarCraft II 2013 WCS American Challenger League livestream is going live today (Wednesday, May 15th) at 6pm EST(UTC-4). To learn how to register to the WCS visit the following Battle.net page.
Vortix vs. NaNiwa – Group B Ro16 – WCS European Premier League
There was a strange behavior in the final match between Juan Moreno Duran (Vortix) and NaNiwa. Vortix won both matches. When Vortix stood up to handshake NaNiwa, he refused to handshake. A loud “boo” was heard from the crowd. (after 32:20)
Blizzard Entertainment is really attacking eSports big time since the acquisition of the IGN Pro League. Jacqueline Geller (Blizzard eSports Network Coordinator) is spear-heading the gathering of data about upcoming BarCraft events which plan to celebrate the WCS Season 1 and the WCS Regional Finals.
It’s not a bad idea to organize yourself one of these at your local bar or restaurant. Or if you own a bar, equip it with a big screen and internet access.
Look at the new bar in United Kingdom named Meltdown London. It hasn’t even opened yet and it’s gotten a lot of press — and that translates into good and free advertisement for your business. Meltdown London opens on June 1st.
Are you interested in joining other eSports enthusiasts to watch a live stream of professional StarCraft II action? The first WCS Regional Finals and Season Finals are on the horizon, and there is no better time to host a BarCraft event!
A BarCraft event is a gathering of individuals in a public setting such as a pub or restaurant for the purpose of viewing live or pre-recorded StarCraft II competition while enjoying some good grub (hopefully) and good company (hopefully). Do you have an awesome public location that would be great for watching StarCraft II with your friends?
The Blizzplanet database and FTP files were provided to me, and thanks to Hybridpunk the website is back online.
Those were the top two concerns I had after my access to the website was removed.
I no longer have access to the Old Blizzplanet Facebook, and Twitter.
This time I created the social network accounts. Lesson learned. Blizzplanet has a new facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/blizzplanetcom and a new Twitter page: http://www.twitter.com/blizzplanetcom
Please, like and follow the new Blizzplanet Facebook and Twitter.
I’ll pick a random fan and announce the winner on Friday, May 17th at 11:59pm EST.
Bob Kotick and Mike Morhaime spoke before the shareholders on Wednesday, May 8 to discuss the Activision Blizzard Q1 2013 financial results. Some key details were revealed in this quarter:
World of Warcraft subscription dropped 14% down to 8.3 million subscribers worldwide.
Diablo III (PS3) will be launched later this year.
Blizzard is developing new titles (plural) with new business models, including Hearthstone and Blizzard All-Stars.
1.1 Million viewers watched eSport matches during the Heart of the Swarm launch
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft enters beta testing this summer for PC/Mac.
Hearthstone will be released in 2013
Heartstone for iPad will be released shortly after the PC/Mac launch
I have to note that Mike Morhaime talked about each video game, paused to mention BlizzCon, and then talked about Blizzard All-Stars and the Next-Gen MMO.
It may be nothing, but it’s odd to not mention these last two along with the other games, but chose to mention them right after talking about BlizzCon. Hint?
Robert A. Kotic – Activision Blizzard CEO
Robert A. Kotick: Activision Publishing’s Skylanders was the leading video game franchise in both North America and Europe, including toys and accessories. Call of Duty was the #2 franchise in North America and Europe combined. Blizzard’s World of Warcraft remains the largest subscription-based MMORPG in the world. However, during the quarter, subscribership declined by approximately 1.3 million subscribers, roughly 14%, and we ended the quarter with approximately 8.3 million subscribers.
Though the majority of our subscriber declines occurred in the East, where we have more subscribers and lower revenue per subscriber, we saw declines in the West as well. And while we do believe further declines are likely and we expect to have fewer subscribers at year end than we do today, World of Warcraft remains one of the most successful franchises in the history of entertainment.
It’s important to note that the nature of online games has changed, and with the environment becoming far more competitive, especially with free-to-play games. To address this, we’re working to release new content more frequently to keep our players engaged longer and make it easier for lapsed players to come back into the game.
We believe in the long-term value of this franchise and will continue to commit substantial resources to World of Warcraft.
During the quarter, Blizzard also launched its expansion to the long-standing StarCraft franchise, with StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm. The expansion pack launched to strong critical response and was the #1 title for the PC in the quarter.
Blizzard Entertainment has already launched StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm and will launch Diablo III for the PlayStation 3 later this year.
In addition, Blizzard is also developing new titles with new business models, including Hearthstone and Blizzard All-Stars. During the remainder of the year, we’ll continue to invest in our established franchises, invest selectively in new opportunities and to manage our costs very carefully.
Mike Morhaime – Blizzard Entertainment President
Mike Morhaime: On the product side, Q1 was an exciting time for Blizzard as we announced 2 new games: Hearthstone, a collectible card game on Windows, Mac and iPad; and Diablo III for PlayStation 3 and 4. These games not only bring Blizzard into the mobile and console spaces, but in the case of Hearthstone, also represent our first entry into free-to-play.
We ended March with $330 million in revenue, up 31% year-over-year and $135 million in operating income, up 52% from the same quarter last year. This increase was driven in large part by the launch of Heart of the Swarm, as we didn’t have a comparable launch in Q1 2012.
For World of Warcraft, we ended the March quarter at 8.3 million subscribers globally. While we saw declines in the West, the majority of the decline came from the East, which has historically seen greater volatility. Given a more competitive market and the length of time since the last expansion, we do expect further volatility this year.
Looking forward, our objective is to deliver new game content at a quicker pace to improve engagement. Our next content update will release later this month and we will continue to invest in additional updates and improvements to continue to evolve the game.
More specifically, we’re examining ways we can ease the transition back into the game for returning players. We’ve always seen players come and go from World of Warcraft. Smoothing out that transitional period is something we’re studying, as we adjust our approach to player behavior and preferences.
On the StarCraft II side, the highlight from last quarter was a successful launch of Heart of the Swarm. In partnership with popular community personalities, we hosted an unprecedented 21-hour global Internet broadcast to celebrate the launch of the game. More than 1.1 million viewers tuned in to this broadcast to see eSports’ show matches, interviews and community produced content.
By the end of the second day on the market, Heart of the Swarm had already sold 1.1 million copies. And then that weekend, more than 1.1 million viewers watched the first major Heart of the Swarm tournament at Major League Gaming’s Winter Championship.
We’ve ridden that strong momentum into announcing this year’s StarCraft II World Championship Series, a global partnership between Blizzard and some of the biggest organizations in eSports. As a result of this partnership, world-class StarCraft II eSports can be viewed in prime time online throughout the world during the week. And StarCraft II is now available on Korean cable television 5 days a week. Viewership of the tournament has been consistently high and we look forward to continuing to improve the spectator experience over the course of the year leading up to the global finals at BlizzCon.
Moving on to Diablo III. We announced that the game would come to Sony PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 and showcased the demo of the PS3 version at PAX East in March. Press on the PS3 version has been very positive, as we have put a lot of work into adapting the game to take advantage of the console platform’s strength. The controls and interface have been modified to suit consoles and the game will have local and online multiplayer capability. We recently announced pre-orders for the PS3 version, which is scheduled to ship later this year.
Rounding out our game updates, I’d like to talk about Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, our new free-to-play collectible card game for Windows, Mac and iPad. Players will be able to earn cards through game play and have the option to purchase card packs if they want to fill out their collection a little faster. Hearthstone is being developed by a small team at Blizzard, whose goal is to create a Blizzard-quality game experience at a smaller scale and scope than our typical project. At this early stage, it’s already clear that the team is achieving the depth and accessibility of the traditional Blizzard game with Hearthstone. Simply put, it’s a lot of fun.
The announcement at PAX East generated a great deal of interest and excitement from attendees. And thus far, we’ve received a massive response from players interested in trying out the beta. We expect the Windows and Mac versions of Hearthstone to go into public testing this summer and released later this year. The iPad version will be available for download shortly after.
Finally, I want to remind everyone that BlizzCon is coming this November to the Anaheim Convention Center. Ticket sales took place 2 weeks ago and our players enthusiastically claimed all available tickets in a matter of seconds. Details on virtual ticket sales will come at a later date.
As usual, we’ll be sharing the latest news on Blizzard games at the show. We’ll also be hosting the World Championship Series’ Global Finals and crowning a true StarCraft II world champion.
Overall, Blizzard has had a good start to a challenging 2013. We successfully launched StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm and announced 2 new games that we feel will deliver Blizzard-quality experiences to new players on additional platforms. And there’s still more in the pipeline with our teams continuing to work on Blizzard All-Stars and our unannounced MMO.
With these new games and continued development on existing franchises, we hope to welcome even more gamers into the Blizzard community as we build towards the future.
Today, Wednesday May 1 at 7pm PDT is the last chance to get a BlizzCon ticket if you missed the two previous sales. This last wave is for those interested in the BlizzCon Benefit Dinner to donate to a charity. Attendees to this dinner will be able to meet and greet Blizzard developers.
Before the BlizzCon festivities begin, we’re inviting you to join Blizzard game developers, artists, executives, and other employees for an evening of good food and good conversation—all for a good cause. Approximately 200 tickets to a special pre-BlizzCon dinner to benefit Children’s Hospital of Orange County will be going on sale Wednesday, May 1 at 7 p.m. PDT. Keep your eye on the ticket sales page at that time for the chance to get yours.
For more information on the BlizzCon Benefit Dinner, visit the info page on the official BlizzCon website.
Blizzard eSports Network Coordinator Jacqueline Geller tweeted the StarCraft World Championship Series America Season 1 Premier League starts tonight at 5:00PM PDT (8:00PM New York EDT / -5GMT).
The entire programming schedule spanning most of the month of May and June here.
Joshua Gray (Clutch) is about to commentate the LanFest.
Intel: “The first LANFest SoCal for 2013 is here! LANFest SoCal returns to Cal Poly Pomona from April 26th to 28th for an action packed weekend of tournaments, contests, raffles, and more. We have a great BYOC section, a console area, a movie area, and a nice stage located inside Cal Poly Pomona’s Bronco Student Center. All attendees are entered in a drawing to win our best prizes provided by our many sponsors.”
Map Pool: KeSPA Neo Planet S, GSL Whirlwind SE, MLG Akilon Wastes, MLG Cloud Kingdom, MLG Daybreak, MLG Newkirk City, MLG Star Station (Cross Spawns Only), Tournament will be run as a Double Elimination, Bo3 til Semi Finals Bo5. No Extended Series.
Details about LanFest can be found at the Intel website.
A Netherlands non-profit group, Mars One, announced they will begin a global search on July 2013 to find the best candidates for the first human mission to Mars in 2023.
Applicants must submit a one-minute YouTube video explaining why they are the best candidate to become one of the 40 astronaut trainees. Those chosen would-be astronauts will train three months at a time beginning on 2015, and continue to train for the next 7 years to prepare for the hardships of the travel through space and living in the red planet.
The spacecraft will launch in 2023 in route to planet Mars with four astronauts. I really thought this was a April’s Fool joke due to the insanity you will learn now, but it is for real. The unbelievable truth about this Mars One colonization project is that whoever wishes to volunteer must agree and understand this is a [One-Way] trip. There’s no plans to return back to planet Earth. The spacecraft is designed so. Hopefully, there are enough Supply Depots to endure the harsh conditions on the red planet.
In 2014, Mars One plans to begin development of a communications satellite that will be set in orbit around Mars to facilitate broadcasting. Astronauts will have access to the internet with a six minute delay up to 22 minutes delay. Partially owned by Mars One, Interplanetary Media Group (IMG) plans to sell the broadcast rights (in advance) to raise funds for the project. IMG will televise the training, interplanetary trip, Mars landing and eventual living and experiences of the astronauts on planet Mars as a Reality Show.
And you thought the Survival reality show was harsh …
2014 will also be the year when Mars One begins Supply development. The Supply cargo will be launched into space on January 2016 containing 2500 kilograms of spare parts, solar photovoltaic panels, and general supplies. It is expected to land on the Mars outpost on October 2016.
A Mars Rover will be launched in 2018. It will explore and pinpoint the best landing spot for the 2023 first Human-boarded vessel. Mars One plans to video stream and broadcast the Rover exploration 24/7/365 via the Mars-orbiting Communication Satellite.
“In 2021 all the components of the settlement reach their destination in six separate landers. Two living units, two life support units, a second supply unit, and another rover arrive on Mars. The two rovers take all components to the settlement location and prepare for the arrival of Mars Team One, the first humans on Mars. A second video stream will be broadcast to Earth 24/7/365.”
“All water, oxygen and atmosphere production will be ready by early 2022, which is when the Earth crew is granted the go-for-launch of Mars Team One. Each component of the Mars transit vehicle is launched into a low Earth orbit and linked. In September history is made as the first four astronauts are launched on their journey to the Red Planet. Every part of this adventure will be broadcast to Earth 24/7/365.”
“The Mars Team One astronauts land in 2023 – the first humans to set foot on Mars! Once settled in, their first tasks include installing the connecting tubes between the individual capsules, configuring and activating the food production units, and assembling the remaining solar photovoltaic panels. Their epic exploration of Mars, their new home planet begins, with everyone on Earth engaged in the 24/7/365 broadcast. A few weeks later, five cargo missions arrive, bringing additional living units, life support units, and a third rover.”
“In June of 2025 Mars Team Two the second crew of four astronauts lands. They are received by their predecessors who have completed the construction of the settlement. As successive Mars One Teams arrive, the settlement will grow in its capacity for scientific research, experiments, and exploration of Mars, with a minimum of four high definition video streams providing viewers on Earth with 24/7/365 engagement.”
A new group of four astronauts will land on Mars every two years, steadily increasing the settlement’s size. Eventually, a living unit will be built from local materials, large enough to grow trees. As more astronauts arrive, the creativity applied to settlement expansion will certainly give way to ideas and innovation that we cannot conceive now. But we can expect the human spirit to continue to persevere, to even thrive in this challenging environment.
Press Conference: April 22
Mars One will hold a press conference in New York City this upcoming Monday, April 22 at noon. There will be a live stream (embed below) of their plans and volunteer astronaut trainee application process. They plan to have a live Q&A onsite and via Twitter.
Applicants must be age 18 or older. Have an excellent health condition, and eye vision. Checkout the qualifications to apply for this astronaut training position at the Mars One website.
- “On Monday 22nd April 2013, Mars One will make an important announcement about its astronaut selection program at a press conference in New York.
The briefing will be moderated by Emily Lakdawalla, Senior Editor at the Planetary Society. The panel will include:
Bas Lansdorp, Co-Founder and CEO, Mars One
Gerard ‘t Hooft, Nobel laureate and Ambassador of Mars One
Norbert Kraft, Chief Medical Officer, Mars One
Grant Anderson, Sr. VP Operations, Chief Engineer and Co-Founder, Paragon Space Development Corporation
Bryan Versteeg, Mission Concept Artist, Mars One
You can be a part of the Q&A by sending us your questions and opinions via Twitter by using the hashtag #MarsOneLaunch.
Blizzard Entertainment has had a long history with WETA and with sculptor|make-up artist Steve Wang both which have created awe-inspiring life-sized statues based on Diablo, World of Warcraft and StarCraft iconic characters. Some of these statues can be seen throughout several departments in the Blizzard Headquarters campus.
Visiting Blizzard Entertainment is not exclusive to press, fansites and celebrities. YOU can actually request a tour and schedule a visiting date by emailing email@example.com.
The most notorious statue is the massive orc wolfrider standing proud at the center of the Blizzard campus.
We have seen the other life-size statues at BlizzCon: Tyrael, Jim Raynor, Illidan, StarCraft: Ghost Nova, and Kerrigan the Queen of Blades.
Sideshow Collectibles is currently selling the T-800 Version 2.0 Life-Size Figure. After reading the instructions PDF I noticed you can actually mount it yourself. The statue is shipped in pieces, and you assemble it like you would a LEGO.
I have visited Sideshow Collectibles website several times monthly for the past 6-7 years. The Terminator one was announced back in 2010, but this is the first time I see Sideshow actually shipping and announcing new upcoming life-sized statues. So it wasn’t just a one-time thing. Sideshow is really getting into life-size statue licenses. Currently the Star Wars, Terminator and Marvel Comics licenses are in the spotlight at Sideshow.
This really made me ponder. Sideshow Collectibles currently sells the following Blizzard licensed products: the Arthas Polystone Statue, the Diablo Polystone Statue (Sept 2013) and the StarCraft II Sixth Scale Figures.
How long will it be before Sideshow Collectibles announces a Tyrael Life-Sized statue? Or a Jim Raynor Life-Sized Statue. Or a King Varian / Thrall Life-Sized Statue? Would you love having one of these? Heck, can you even afford it?
Sideshow seems to sell these Life-Size statue at a flat $5,999 price with a monthly payment option. I’d say the majority of fans might need to build additional pylons and more probes to afford it. However, there are people who can afford it. Otherwise, these three licensed statues wouldn’t be currently in development. There is a niche of fans taking them home.
Update (April 23, 2013): A Sideshow Collectibles representative told Blizzplanet: “Life-Size figures for Blizzard Entertainment licenses aren’t out of the realm of possibility but at this time there are no projects in the works for any Life-Size Figures from Diablo, Word of Warcraft, etc.”